Friday 3 July 2009

What should I pack?

Every trip, journey, excursion, expedition starts the moment I start packing my things. It’s not until I take out my backpack or luggage out and start putting things inside that I know I am off for another adventure.

- I think there is a good reason for that: No matter how long ago I have booked the flying tickets and got the visas deep inside I know these are not really part of the traveling process. For centuries people were traveling without advising travel agencies or requesting admission and vaccination proofs. So it is very likely that these complications are not still wired in my DNA as the beginning of a journey. On the contrary though, packing …-

…packing yes, is definitely the starting point. So what should I take with me this time so that I am prepared. Here we go then:

- Independent of what is your latest purchase, what you would like to see yourself in and what sounds cool learn what do people living in the place you go wear at this time of the year. If for instance they do not were waterproofs while in a rainy season, it’s probably because it’s also very humid the rest of the time or because sun comes out afterwards drying everything quickly. The scenarios are infinite but keeping rule number one in mind will save you from carrying unnecessary things or looking silly.
- Travel light. I cannot emphasize much this one, even though it has become a cliché. There are so many times we have to carry the full load of our language, especially when commuting or when it’s just the safest thing to do. Keep also in mind that the weight and volume of our luggage rarely goes down during the trip. On the contrary we tend to purchase presents and clothes appropriate for the local weather conditions. I try to keep 30% of the space in my luggage free before I leave for a trip.
- Packing needs to be done in a priority order. Keep underwear – socks / toiletries handy. Same thing is true for tickets, passports and money. Spare bags for dirty clothes…



PS: Ohh my God, I forgot to mention extra batteries for the camera :-)

PS2: I am proud to have learnt these tricks not while traveling for leisure but with the army!

PS3: In the picture I am with my friend Yo Stuller leaving Boston (with all my belonging) for Buenos Aires. 1 hour before the picture was taken the following story takes place: I am driving to Yo’s place with an old white Toyota Corolla so that we have a bear and he can give me a ride to the airport. The plan was that he would keep the car and try to sell it for me (as he surprisingly managed to, a few months later). I was running low on gas but having full faith in Toyota’s and not much spare time to spare I decided I can postpone filling it up for later. As soon as I arrived at Yo’s, I saw him with his always welcoming smile raising a bottle of bear towards me. Until now I don’t know what possessed me that moment and without turning off the engine, I step out of the car locking the door behind me. My car running low on fuel, with the engine on, all windows shut and all doors locked had all my belonging including passport and tickets 2 hours before my flight out of the country. It was Sunday! With the help of a police officer! We managed to brake in the car 30 minutes later…

priceless

No comments:

 
Counter
Free Counter